6.06.2010

Getting to Savannah!

It's been a crazy couple of days!!

I'm currently sitting in an air conditioned Starbucks in downtown Savannah and it's amazing! I love this city! I feel like I am in a completely different world from Southern California.

I left California at 11am Friday morning flying on Delta, an airline I have never flown with before. Before I boarded the plan I took my Dramamine and was prepared to sleep the whole way! Well, that didn't happen. What was cool about the Delta flight was that each seat had a TV! Even better than that, they had HGTV. In case you didn't know, I've been obsessed with HGTV for like 3 weeks. So, I didn't sleep. Instead, I watched HGTV the entire way to Atlanta. The other reason I couldn't sleep was the child sitting behind me who insisted on kicking and/or hitting the back of me seat the entire way (Thank you to his Mom who did absolutely nothing about it. Great parenting). Other fail factors included the awful turbulence and the child in front of me who kept throwing her bottle at me. Awesome.

As we were approaching Atlanta, our Captain announced that we were going to have to circle for a few minutes because of the weather. I was okay with this because my connecting flight to Savannah was about an hour after we were to land in Atlanta. A few minutes late wasn't going to kill me. Well after about 10 minutes the Captain announced that we didn't have enough fuel to circle any longer and we were going to go to Alabama to refuel. Awesome. We were in Alabama for about 45 minutes, long enough for me to miss my flight to Savannah.

When we got to Atlanta, I checked the departing flights and as it turned out, my flight to Savannah had been canceled, so it didn't matter that I had missed it. At this point, I was in terminal E. The next flight to Savannah was at 9:35pm, leaving out of terminal D. So I hopped on the tram thing and went to terminal D. When I finally got to the counter, the woman who helped me said she could put me on stand-by for the flight, but there were already like 50 people on stand-by for this flight. I told her to put me on stand-by for the 10:45pm flight to Savannah instead. Well, that flight was leaving from terminal B. So, back to the tram I went and went to terminal B. I went to the gate for the 10:45pm flight and waited. They flashed the list of stand-by passengers and their ranking...I was number 43. Awesome. Knowing I was not going to make this flight, I proceeded to the Delta help desk. I stood in that line for about 45 minutes. When I got to the counter I knew I was going to have to get on a flight in the morning. I told the Delta agent to put me on any flight that was a guaranteed seat. I did not want to be on stand-by. He put me on the 8:25am flight and I had a seat!

I was offered a voucher to pay only $50 for a hotel room, but I didn't think it was worth it. By the time I would have left the airport and got to the hotel, I would have had to turn around and come back. So, I stayed the night in the Atlanta Airport. It really wasn't so bad. I read a book on my Nook, listen to music, and worked on my Capstone! I was pretty productive.

When I got on my flight the next morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find out the Delta agent had given me a First Class seat! Mind you, it was only a 45 min. flight, but it was an awesome 45 minutes. When I arrived in Savannah, which is a gorgeous airport, I was a little worried about my luggage. Since my original flight was canceled, I wasn't sure where my luggage was. Thankfully, it was sitting in a holding room at the Delta office.

So, I know this sounds like an awful experience, but it really wasn't that bad. There wasn't anything I could do. I had to make the best of the situation, and I did. The most important thing is that I made it here! I don't have any pictures to share yet, but I am hoping to take a few today.

. : Kate : .
(or Julia to some of you)

2 comments:

katelyn said...

holy cow! what a trip so far! yay can't wait for pictures!

Anonymous said...

Well, you feel like you are in a completely different world in Savannah then California... because you are! I think you will like the "Southern Comfort" (not the alcohol). :)